Minutes – 7th February 2024

Minutes Uploaded on February 16, 2024

Minutes of the Meeting of Gosforth Parish Council held on Wednesday 7th February 2024 at Gosforth Library

Present: Cllrs. Rachel Unsworth (Vice-Chair), Jackie Atkinson, David Gray, John Owens, Tyson Norman, Graham Hutson and Elizabeth Hutson

Also present: Jacqueline Williams (Clerk) and three members of the public.

616/24 Apologies for Absence

Apologies were received from Cllr. Gray who is on holiday.

RESOLVED that the apology be approved and the reason noted.

617/24 Declarations of Interest

Cllr. Norman declared an interest in the Gravel Pit.

618/24 Minutes of the meeting held on 13th December 2023

Actions from the minutes: Bridleway issue resolved. Suggested location for extra dog bin – Row Lane/between Ellerslie and Wellington. Yellow lines on list. Cllr. Unsworth to make contact regarding definitive footpath map.

RESOLVED that the minutes of the last Parish Council Meeting held on 13th December 2023, pages 203 to 205 be accepted as a true record and signed by the Chair.

619/24 Public Participation

A local resident who has taken on our Flag duties requested an Armed Forces Flag.

620/24  Cumberland Councillor Report – Cllr. Moore not present

621/24 Planning Applications:


RESOLVED that the following applications have been considered and the Planning Authority be advised of the Council’s observations as follows:

4/24/2019/0F1 High Ling Bank, Gosforth  – demolition – strongly object

4/24/2016/0F1 Longlands Farm, Gosforth – demolition – strongly object

Planning Decisions: – none received.

Other planning matters:

Hollybank – confirmed local occupancy condition applies to tenants and parking lease is for named person only.

Hermans Hill Woodland Management Plan – Cllrs. support the plan.

7/2024/4006 Lion & Lamb – removal of planning condition from 2002 planning consent – ‘access and parking provision is made and retained’ – object.

622/24 Financial Reports

The Clerk presented a bank reconciliation and noted a payment for 50% of playground upgrade costs. The Clerk has submitted a VAT refund request.

RESOLVED that the Bank Reconciliation to 30th January 2024 be received and noted.

RESOLVED that the schedule of payments be approved for payment.

623/24 Geological Disposal Facility

Cllr. Atkinson is now a member of the GDF Community Partnership and has completed the ‘onboarding’ process. Cllr. Atkinson reported that an additional working group has been set up so Mid-Copeland is now one of four search areas. Four engagement events have been held recently. A workshop is being arranged to explore ‘what does Copeland want’ and up-to-date Parish Plans have been requested. Our last Parish Plan was completed in 2012 but most items are closed or ongoing. Cllr. Owens said that Mott MacDonald may be able to help.

RESOLVED that Parish Plan be included as an item on the next agenda.

624/24 Car Park &Toilets

The Clerk had circulated an email from our Cleaning Contractor regarding closing the toilets during power cuts. Cllrs. agreed this was a sensible course of action. Clerk to inform.

The car park has been increasingly full.

RESOLVED that the car park to be discussed ‘in camera’ at the next meeting.

Cllr. Atkinson requested the Clerk chase the tree surgeons.                                          

625/24 Playground

Cllr. Unsworth reported that the first instalment of the grant has been received and the second instalment is scheduled for 11th February. Work on the playground will commence on 11th March and will take 2 weeks to complete. Cllr. Unsworth said the car park will be closed and the Pavilion is being used for welfare. Cllr. Unsworth will deliver a letter to neighbours.

626/24 Public Hall

The Clerk reported that the application for 20% of the detailed design phase of the refurbishment project was withdrawn as they require more than one quotation. To obtain more quotations, the tender document had been placed on the Government’s Contracts Finder website and two more quotations were received and have been submitted for consideration at the next meeting in March. The GDF application went to the panel on 5th February, but the outcome is unknown. 

627/24 NDA Properties – covered under planning applications above. 

628/24 Connecting Communities

Cllr. Norman said there was nothing to report and will update at the next meeting. 

629/24 Funding

Cllrs. discussed funding for a new Parish Plan. Cllr. Atkinson suggested LLWR grant or GDF. Cllr. Hutson said CVS have a funding adviser based at Millom.

630/24 Climate Change & Biodiversity

Cllr. Owens had attended an online event run by CALC on Climate Change & Biodiversity loss and said we could incorporate some of the actions we could take in the Parish Plan. The Clerk had circulated a Sustainability Policy which Cllr. Owens said we could use as a base to produce an Action Plan. The Clerk to circulate CALC’s toolkit and Carbon Emissions Report for Gosforth.

631/24 Correspondence & Communications

Cllrs. were pleased to see the email and photograph of the completed bench refurbishment at the top of Leagate. Both top and bottom benches are looking good. 

632/24 Meetings – no meetings other than those included earlier in these minutes. 

633/24 Councillor Administration

Cllr. Hutson said he and Elizabeth would be away through the middle of May when the Parish Meeting is scheduled to take place. The Clerk to check standing orders to see if a later date is acceptable.

634/24 Items in Camera

Items in camera are dealt with in private in accordance with The Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960.

Gravel Pit

Cllr. Norman left the meeting. The Clerk wanted to confirm the start date for the increase in rent which was agreed from 1st April 2024. Clerk to inform the tenant.

635/24 Date of Next Meeting

Due to vacations, it was agreed that the next meeting of Gosforth Parish Council will take place on 13th March 2024 at 7pm at Gosforth Library.

The meeting closed at 9pm.